The Spammers have been SPAMMED, http://www.ruggaworld.com is back online!
Google

Thursday, February 02, 2006

 

Super 14: Zimbabwean can't play.......yet


Strapping 1.81m, 99 kg flanker, David Pocock, has been told he cannot play for the Force until he turns 18 and has therefore missed out on his dream of playing Super 14 this year.

The Force may also have run into early legal trouble by fielding him.

David Pocock left Zimbabwe at the age of 13 when he and his family emigrated to Australia.

The young prodigy has quickly made his mark on the local rugby scene, being selected for the Perth based franchise, the Western Force, at the age of 17 when he played 20 minutes against the Cheetahs in a pre-season hit-out.

It's that appearance that may now have dropped the Force in trouble with the possibility of a fine still not being discounted.

"We advised them he couldn't play," an ARU spokesman told Sydney's Daily Telegraph, referring to his future participation.

"It's an [International Rugby Board] regulation and is ARU board policy. There's a bit of paper that says they can't do it."

Young Pocock doesn't seem much affected by the fuss though, "I loved every minute of it," he said, "When I was on the field I didn't feel intimidated at all. If you're good enough, you're old enough.

"[Chief executive] Peter [O'Meara] and [coach] John Mitchell made it clear it was up to me if I wanted to play, and I was keen.

"It's just disappointing I won't have the chance to push for a (Super 14) spot this year. But I'll get stuck into training and prepare myself for next season."
Comments:
He looks tough enough to me.
If Linde can play S14...
 
Go the expats!  
Zzzzzzz...  
Let the oke play, if he's good enough he must be tough enough too surely?
Seems a bit of an odd rule?
 
Post a Comment


<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?